Pages

12.02.2010

Things to Do in Tampa When You're Not Dead

Tampa lost one of its finest do-gooders this week, and Ronny & I one of our closest friends. This post is for Tommy, who came late to loving live music in Tampa. But better late than never?

Music abounds in Tampa in December so it's easy to celebrate the season or just being alive. Hope to see you out there.

On Friday, Diana Jones is playing 88.5's Live Music Showcase. You can catch Diana on Sunday, December 5th at 3 p.m at the UU Dome, with Linda Fackeldey opening.

Austin-based musician Andrew Hardin will play a live set on WMNF at 9 a.m on Saturday morning. Get up close to Andrew & his music (and 20-30 or so of your new best friends) the following day at a Lunazoot house concert at 3 p.m. in north Tampa.

On Saturday evening join Tasmanian-turned-Nashville, Tennessean songwriter Audrey Auld at Gram's Place. Another intimate venue not to be missed. (It'll also be my 32nd birthday party. Thanks in advance to my mom for bringing a pineapple upside down cake.)

Also happening Saturday night is Jobsite Theater's annual fundraiser,
Jobsite Rocks! VII at New World Brewery in Ybor. Music by The Vodkanauts, Pale Orchestra, and ex-Famous Monsters of Filmland. The show starts at 9 p.m.

And these are just the handful of shows that came to my email inbox, so I know there's a ton more out there that you can find via the traditional routes: TBO, TBT, Reax, CL, WMNF. (What else did I miss?)

Get out there and find something to do!

P.S. If you love (or hate) the Deep South and Molly Ringwald, go read Ernessa T. Carter's 32 Candles. It's a classic dysfunctional family drama with a twisted love story and lots of humor.

Photo above of Ronny, me and Tommy after Tommy married us on 3/28/09

2 comments:

  1. Dawn, I just wanted you to know that this mashup birthday invite made my entire week. Thanks so much for the plug and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ernessa! (I'll thank my hubby again for his brilliant photoshopping!) Your book was a pleasure to read :)

    ReplyDelete